Wednesday, September 22, 2010

And So the Tiny Reflections Begin...

Hi folks,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. Well, sort of. I know we won't officially meet for another 5 weeks or so, but Mom has gotten severely behind in updating the world about my progress, so I've taken it upon myself to fill you in. It's the least I can do for her, after all, now that I've learned to write.

For those of you who don't already know me, or at least something about me, my name is Harper Jayne Poirier, and I come to you from beyond the womb. I'm roughly 35 weeks old in fetus years (which makes me something like -35 days in postnatal human years), which means I'm getting pretty big by now. Don't let that profile picture fool you--if, in fact, you were able to even ascertain that it was me pictured there. (We certainly will not hire that photographer again.) Anyway, that was months ago. I was just a child then. Now, I'm nearly full grown, and running out of womb!

Mom is always going on about how she can't wait to not be pregnant (which I have to admit does hurt my feelings a little bit. I mean, I'm sorry I'm making you uncomfortable, Mom, but did I ask to float around in this gooey nest for 40 weeks?) but no one is more anxious than me to get out of this incubation nightmare. (Ok, "nightmare" is a little strong, especially since I only just figured out the difference between day and night a couple weeks ago. But for those of us who--despite any assumptions to the contrary--are a little claustrophobically inclined, 9 long months curled up in a ball and eating through a tube is hardly my idea of a good time.)

Still, I've tried to make the best of the situation. I spend a majority of my time practicing skills and things that I know will come in handy on the outside world. I try to wait until Mom is resting so that she can feel how hard I'm working. It's hard for me to hear exactly what she's saying because everything is a little muffled in here, but she seems the most enthusiastic when I do my warm-up stretches. She must be proud that I've taken the initiative to prevent injury before I get on to the more exhausting exercises like kick-boxing and my cardio-circuit. Anyway, I like to hook one foot between her ribs for support and stretch my arms and spine as far as I can into her pelvis. It actually feels really good because I can rest my head on Mom's bladder like a pillow for extra support.

Speaking of pillows, I think Mom is about to do some walking around, which is my cue that it's nap time. So, I'm afraid I'll have to sign-off for today. But I know the occasion is rare that you're able to converse with we(e) members of the prenatal world, so please check out my profile to get an idea of my interests and hobbies and feel free to post any other questions you might have for me! Remember, my time in Uterine Land is limited, so don't be shy. Meanwhile, I'll keep you posted about the final leg of my gestational odyssey and all my hopes and fears as I approach the end (or, some would say, the beginning) of my journey!

Best wishes and all that,

Harper Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment